Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau recently died at the age of 81, but not until she influenced the world of fashion in a major way. A pioneer in the world of “preppy” clothing, she used color and style to pave the way towards clothing that is bright, stylish, and very, very fun.
There are tons of reasons to love Lilly and even more reasons to remember her. Certainly a highly cultured woman with a true sense of who she was, what she wanted, and how to follow her own path and heart, I thought it would be fun to count down the top ten reasons to love Lilly:
- She was always up for a good party – known for throwing parties, hosting them with barefoot at her home, Lilly was always up for a celebration. What’s not to love about that? As Lilly once said:“That’s what life is all about. Let’s have a party. Let’s have it tonight.”
- She was an optimist – Lilly once stated, “Life’s a party. Dress like it” showing her optimistic outlook on life. She was a vibrant individual who was always sporting a smile and a positive outlook. The world could use more people with an attitude like that!
- She had her very own sense of style – thanks to her distinct style preferences, she built a brand that is well respected and love. Her respect for her own style wants and needs is admirable. Everyone should follow their heart just as much when it comes to picking out what they want to wear!
- She was innovative – Lilly actually began her business as a way to disguise stains on her dresses. How clever! You see, her story began with a juice stand. She would sell juice and frequently spill some on herself. In order to ensure no one would ever notice the spills, she began designing these brightly colored dresses. Stylish and genius!
- She had influence – Lilly’s designs and fashion has historically, and today, made it big! Jacqueline Kennedy was photographed in an early Lilly design.
- She was ambitious – at a time where it was admirable to be a housewife and definitely expected, Lilly aspired to do more. Besides running the juice stand, she started her dress designs and ended up with a famous label that is a huge success today.
- She created an empire – while she started out with simple shift dress designs and products, Lilly Pulitzer products are now much, much more. Besides clothing for women, there is now a children’s line as well as men’s pieces. Additionally, there are home products and a never-ending list of accessories made by the company.
- She was a fashionista at its finest – “Style isn’t just about what you wear, it’s about how you live” Lilly once stated, and we couldn’t agree more! She truly got the point of style, which is that it has to be something of your own that you love enough to live.
- She marched to the beat of her own drum – Lilly stated many times that in her business, she didn’t do things for other people, she did them for herself. That is admirable and amazing, especially in the business world.
- She loved summer – warm weather is always awesome, and Lilly appreciated it unlike any other. After all, what beats the sunshine, sunglasses, and a great cocktail? Not much.
Looking back at Lilly and her influential life is fun, and she will always be remembered as the fashion icon that she is. RIP Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau.