In the craziness of life, how often do you forget to make time for yourself? Admit it! You don’t set aside time to relax and enjoy nearly as much as you’d like.
I totally get it. I’m the same way. In between everything else going on, it’s sometimes tough to make “you” time. Perhaps it just falls low on the to-do list, coming after homework, workouts, meetings, and appointments. Or maybe you just simply forget. It’s understandable…but it’s not acceptable.
Neglecting to make time for yourself eventually catches up with you. You will become irritable, tired, and ultimately unhappy. No matter how busy you are, you need to occasionally take the time to do stuff for yourself – whatever it is, as long as it makes you happy.
Because I totally get that it’s so hard sometimes, here are the easiest ways to ensure you get some “you” time:
- Schedule it in – does it seem like your whole life is scheduled (over-scheduled, maybe)? That’s ok! Use your scheduling abilities to work in some you time. Set aside a block of time that is dedicated to doing what you want to do and stick to your schedule! You’ll be glad you did.
- Prioritize it – the only way to ensure that you spend time on yourself is to make it a priority. Make sure it happens! Let yourself know that taking care of yourself is important enough to you to make the time for it to happen. Say no to other things in order to facilitate this important aspect of life to ensure that you don’t get burnt out or end up feeling irritable and depressed.
- Commit to it – you may schedule in this time, but make sure to truly commit to it. Don’t eventually put it off, claiming you’re too busy. Make sure that no matter what, you stay committed to this special time you know that you need.
- Make it routine – perhaps you want to add in your “you” time at the same time every day. Each night, I read before I go to sleep. That is something that makes me happy, so I know that every day, regardless of anything else, I have that time. That doesn’t mean it’s the only “me” time I have ever, but it’s a routine time I have to enjoy myself, which is nice.
- Multi-task – Why not kill two birds with one stone? Knock things off your to-do list while enjoying yourself. Get a pedicure and read that article you need to catch up on for work. Use yoga as your workout so that you relax and get in your fitness for the day. If you’re really busy, this is a great option to stay relaxed and get things done.
What are your favorite ways to make time for yourself? Do you prioritize it enough, or not as much as you should?