As winter is definitely in full swing, I have so often caught myself dreaming of a warm, endless summer. I hate the cold and it has been absolutely freezing out. Also, I am so sick of wearing a coat everywhere I go! I won’t even take my dogs out without one, because if I do I end up shivering uncontrollably. Yuck.
Yup, I am definitely pining for the careless days by the pool, sun-filled days on the boat, and outfits consisting of colorful J.Crew chino shorts and Jack Rogers that summer is filled with.
Too bad we still have months left of winter.
But…there is some good news. As much as we want summer to come, we can add subtle pieces of the season to our daily lives right now instead of having to wait four long months for the summer to arrive.
Although these daily additions may not make up for the fact that it is 30 degrees outside and there is snow on the ground, that doesn’t mean that they aren’t fun. Here are my favorite ways to stay in a summer state of mind all year round:
- Bake summer treats out of season – every once in a while, I will bake recipes that are clearly made for summertime. For instance, recently I made a pink lemonade cake for someone’s birthday, and it put me in such a summery state of mind! I think my next summery baked good I’ll make will be my banana pudding cake.
- Adding a pop of color – any outfit can use a pop of color, no matter what season! Adding some bright color to your look isn’t only fashionable, but it’s also a great way to be think warm weather and sunshine. Add in a colored statement necklace or bright nail color for some extra flair. I love OPI’s Strawberry Margarita to keep it bright.
- Dive into a tropical book – There are so many books on my shelf that center around summer and island life. Whenever I am feeling nostalgic for summer, it is a great time to pull one of those off the shelf and get reading. Find some of my favorite tropical reads here.
- Break out your summery accessories – Is the winter proving to be a challenge? Break out your favorite summer accessories! From my Lilly Pulitzer sunnies to my Vineyard Vines and Francesca Joy totes, using those occasionally during the winter is the best way to be reminded of great summer memories.
- Day dream about the sun – Like I said before, I’ve been dreaming so much of the summer, beach, warmth, and the sun. And my response to that is…so what?! I can and will day dream about it as much as I want because it makes me happy. Dream about your favorite summer days and with each passing day, get more and more excited for the season to arrive.
See…there are so many ways to keep the warm season on your mind and in your life rather than just in your heart!